The Lukenya University fraternity is pleased to announce the installation of the 2nd Chancellor – Professor Margaret Mckenna, an American Citizen , Lawyer and Educator. She is a leading expert in educational opportunity and philanthropy.
She Takes over From Mr. Harris Mule, who was the 1st Chancellor and has overseen the University from inception to award of Charter (2013-2022)
Mr. Mule worked as a research fellow at the University of Denver before being employed as an Economist/Statistician in the Ministry of Economic Planning and Development. He worked hard and rose through the ranks to become the Ministry’s Chief Economist.
Due to his accomplishment and dedication to public service, Mr. Harris Mule was appointed to the position of Deputy Permanent Secretary Ministry of Economic Planning and Development. He was later appointed to serve as the Permanent Secretary in the same Ministry a position he executed with diligence and enthusiasm.
Due to his experience and expertise; Mr. Mule has been a long term consultant for:
- International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) where he was in charge of supervision of IFAD funded projects in Africa; and
- Assistant President of IFAD in charge of planning and policy – A position equivalent to Assistant Secretary General of U.N.
Between 1989 and 1995; Mr. Mule, was hired as a member of World Bank Council of Africa Advisor due to his prowess in economics. He was among the eight best brains from Africa assigned to provide regular advice to the World Bank’s Vice President for Africa. Mr. Mule was further honored with the appointment of being the adviser to the Director General of International Food Policy Research Institute.
Because of his immense governance skills he was appointed to the eminent team to review the governance structure and practice of the African Development Bank. He did this job exemplary which saw him appointed to a higher assignment of assessing the Quality of the World Banks Governance and Anti-Corruption Measures in World Bank Funded Projects.
Mr. Mule has served exemplarily in the following boards just to mention a few;
- Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees to the International Food Policy Research Institute;
- African future a programme of the UNDP
- Transparency International, Kenya
- Institute of Policy Analysis and Research (IPAR), Kenya; and
- The United Nations University – WIDER.
In the private sector, Mr. Mule has served as a Non-Executive Director with Standard Charted Bank Kenya Limited, British American Tobacco, and Lion of Kenya Insurance Company.
Because of his distinguished career and performance, Mr. Mule has been feted with several honorary awards. These include:
- Doctor of Law (LLD), Honoris Causa by the York University Toronto;
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Honoris Causa by the Kenyatta university; and
- Distinguished Alumni Award – Harvard University.
Mr. Mule has previously served as a Chancellor of Kenyatta University.
The installation ceremony was crowned by the naming Ceremony of the Harris Mule Hall , A 600-seater multi-Purpose hall at the University.