The university encourages students to apply for HELB loans both timely and accurately to meet their academic demands that include Tuition fee payment, books and stationery, accommodation as well as subsistence.
The university through the Dean’s office follows up on any complaints and delays that may occur either during application or disbursement. The office through the IT department also assists students with difficulty in applications.
Shown below are ways of applying for HELB loan:
- How to apply for a HELB Loan as a First Time Applicant:
- Visit the HELB website www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal and click on “create an account” to register.
- Once the account is created, log in and select the appropriate Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Read the literature or view the videos on Financial Literacy and participate in the brief exercise online.
- Access and fill the loan application form.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form [Mandatory]
- Have the forms appropriately filled, signed, and stamped by the relevant authorities.
- Attach all the documents as per the checklist and present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form at any Huduma Centre close to you. Or at the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi
- Retain a complete copy of the Loan Application Form.
Requirements for first time applicants
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card.
- Copies of the parents’ National ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased.
- Copies of both guarantors’ National ID Card.
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate.
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only).
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card or admission letter from the institution.
- One recent coloured passport size photograph of the applicant.
b) How to apply on the Helb app as a second and subsequent applicant
- Applicants should visit Google play store and download the HELB Mobile Application.
- Register your details (First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number) on the HELB App to generate a PIN which you will use to log in and accept the license agreement.
- Read the mandatory financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question & Answer to appreciate the purpose of credit. Scroll down to view results then click “proceed”.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Follow each step to fill in the required details and submit. A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied.
- The loan serial number will also be displayed
- Subsequent application is paperless hence no printing.
- Recent beneficiaries of the Undergraduate Loan
- Students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service [KUCCPS] in the local public and private universities
- Self-Sponsored, Parallel and Module II Students studying for a Bachelor’s degree.
The university encourages students to apply for bursaries. The DOS office signs the forms on behalf of the university and a fee statement is attached to the document. The office liaises with concerned CDF offices and county governments to ensure bursaries are accessed. Many students have benefitted through the funds.